The fruit is called dry when it contains no juice. It is a very hard-skinned fruit with less than fifty percent water. But why is it recommended to consume dried fruit?
The energy content of dried fruit is very high. It is also characterized by its high intake of proteins and fats, and in many cases also by the B group vitamins. Moreover, it is one of the few foods to contain phosphorus.
Let’s see more in detail why consuming dried fruit is good.
The benefits of dried fruit
- Dried fruit prevents diseases with cancer, and this is due to its content of vitamins B and E, copper, iron, phosphorus, potassium, and selenium.
Its high fiber content prevents constipation, so it prevents the appearance of intestinal diseases.
- His caloric intake is high: about 500 calories every 100 grams.
- These foods contain folic acid and amino acid (lysine) that help prevent vascular problems.
- Strengthens bones promote growth and prevent osteoporosis and this thanks to its high calcium content. This makes it the ideal substitute for dairy products and is therefore perfect for lactose-intolerant people.
The intake of oleic and linoleic acid helps improve blood circulation, preserve heart health and normalize cholesterol levels.
Dried fruit is ideal for menopausal women since they are a source of phytoestrogens and this makes them useful for alleviating the effects of the lesser pause and its characteristic hot flashes.
- For people with anemia, consuming dried fruit is a way to take iron, particularly recommended in this case.
- They are recommended to increase fertility in men and because they promote the movement of sperms since they contain high levels of zinc and selenium.
- With the consumption of hazelnuts, it is possible that the risk of suffering from arteriosclerosis is reduced, thanks to the trace minerals they contain.
It is a type of food suitable for people suffering from arthritis due to lack of omega 3.
- If you consume dried fruit for twenty or more consecutive days, you will reduce the levels of bad cholesterol.
- It helps the nervous system thanks to its soothing effects, excellent for those suffering from ulcers.
What do you need to keep in mind to eat nuts?
All dried fruit must be stored properly, in a container and in a cool, dry place.
If you consume almonds and walnuts, make sure they are completely ripe, as otherwise, you will run the risk that they contain toxic substances.
It is not uncommon to develop an allergy to nuts, so you must make sure that you do not have any side effects after consuming it.
Dried fruits are not recommended for those who suffer from high blood pressure, obesity, who are on a diet and who are allergic to certain types of nuts.
If you choose to eat toasted nuts, know that after cooking the fruit loses its properties, so it is preferable to eat it raw, after leaving it to soak in water for ten minutes.
Furthermore, it is advisable to avoid salted nuts such as peanuts, and this is because salt stimulates thirst and drinking excess water overloads the kidneys.
Consume moderately dried fruit
On the other hand, it has serious consequences for the hypertensive: it favors the hardening of the fats that are deposited in the tissues and that begin to hold water; hence the appearance of cellulite.
It is recommended for consumption on alternate days, with six cooked chestnuts or with a handful of hazelnuts or five walnuts.
It is advisable to supplement the dried fruit for breakfast, as a snack or during the main courses, but also to add it to the salad, accompanied by fresh cheeses, legumes, and cereals.
Consuming dried fruit is particularly suitable for professional sportsmen, and for small children in constant motion; moreover, it is recommended for those people who perform intense intellectual work, thanks to its organic phosphate content; this is because phosphorus is a particularly important element for cerebral metabolism.
As we have seen in this article, dried fruit has many benefits, but we must also keep in mind when it is good to eat them and which ways to consume them. So take advantage of these tips and consume these foods in moderation.